:)

:)

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New Meals ~ Chicken Marsala

I love to cook. LOVE to cook. I also love to eat out... but that's for another time. Well, I love to cook but once we got married it just felt like I was cooking the same thing over and over and over again and most of the time is was beef, beef, beef, chicken, beef.... you get the picture. I was ready to add some flavor to our meals. I also knew that when summer rolled around I would most likely go insane being bored with nothing to do. So, I came up with a plan to keep me happy :) I am going to start cooking a brand new meal to see if it is something that we might want to add to our regular meals.

The first meal I decided to try was Paula Deen's Chicken Marsala. My mom gets her magazine's each month and I found this recipe in her December 2013 issue. It has chicken and mushrooms which are two of Frankie's favorites so I thought it had a good chance of survival. I made this last Friday night and it was a hit with a few minor changes for the future. :)

I'm going to list Paula's recipe and then I will list what I did to change it up for us.

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 (8oz) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 (15oz) can chicken broth
1 cup Marsala wine
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp butter
1 (16oz) package linguine

1. Place chicken between two sheets of parchment paper, and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin to an even thickness. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook, in batches if necessary, for 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet, and keep warm.
3. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to skillet. Add mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt, cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth, wine, and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
4. Return chicken to skillet, and cook until heated through. Add butter, stirring until melted. Serve chicken and sauce over linguine.


Okay, first the things I changed about the ingredients:
  • I did not measure out the salt and pepper to season the chicken with, I just did what I normally do.
  • I did not use portobello mushrooms, well I might have but it didn't say. I just bought the mushrooms that we buy to use on anything we cook with mushrooms. (I know we like those so that is what I stuck with.)
  • Frankie does not like onions so instead of slicing an onion I just used a small amount of onion salt. (He likes the flavor but not the texture so I decided to try using a small amount of the onion salt and I don't think he noticed at all.)
  • Lastly, I do not like sage so I didn't use it.

 
I had to cook my chicken in batches, the olive oil got really hot and starting popping pretty bad so I left the top on while they cooked.

 
The olive oil did a really good job of browning the chicken and her time of 5 to 6 minutes on each side was pretty accurate.

 
After I added in the mushrooms.

 
This was after I added in all the liquid. It was suppose to reduce by half but mine never really did. I'm not sure what I did wrong but next time I will try to figure that out.

 
Once I added the chicken back in.

 
The finished product. (I'm not sure why this picture is so hazy.)
 
My thoughts....
  • I really loved it but I would definitely not do pasta with it next time. We had green beans and mashed potatoes with this and it tasted much better without the pasta.
  • We both wished the sauce would have been a little thicker and next time I make it I will probably add another tablespoon of flour to it to see if that helps.
 
As far as the easiness of this meal, I was actually very surprised how easy and quick it was. The only reason that it took me a while was because I was reading and rereading and double and triple checking the recipe. Once I know the recipe by heart this will be a breeze to make. :)
 
I am going to rate each new meal that I make on a scale of 1 to 10:
1=probably not going to have that again 
10=will add that to my favorite meal box
 
Frankie's score - 9
My score - 7
Looks like we have found a new chicken recipe :)
 
:) Happy Eating :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment